There is an old saying, “if you stay in this world you will never learn another one.”
Learning the dynamics, the art and the science of the new world created by the social web is one of the foremost challenges for businesses.
Current business theories are correct in their own world, but the problem is that the theory may not make contact with the new world.
For businesses to succeed in the new world a transformation in leadership thinking will be required.
Back to the Future
Imagine if business leaders were able to go forward in time and see what needs to change today in order to create a better future. Most business leaders would jump at the opportunity to be able to see the future in order to better manage today’s decisions. The future is about Socialutions and here are 10 Points of Business Transformation required to survive and thrive in a new world:
1. Management practices of the past have smothered the individual and tried to contain and manage individual expression. The social web brings back the individual.
2. The social web is not a thing, rather it is a movement accelerated by the art of self expression, the reach of relationships and fueled by the science of advanced technology.
3. Economic activity takes place within social relations. People create economic gains by what they buy and recommend. For businesses to reach buyers they need to reach people.
4. If you destroy the people of a company, you do not have much left for the future. People drive all business processes, products and services. People influence customer and supplier relations
5. Fear and lack of trust can make economic growth impossible. Don’t fear the social web, embrace it. Distrust destroys relationships
6. The social web gives businesses reach and richness in finding innovative answers to perplexing business problems.
7. Businesses are social networks. If you didn’t know this you are in denial about the power of people conversing with other people.
8. Human Resource Management is no longer a rules game. People don’t resist change–they resist being changed. The traditional approach to human resource practices needs to be transformed to practices that empower people.
9. People have conversations with people, not things. Customers will connect with customers and employees will connect with employees. What are these conversations producing? What can a business learn from these conversations?
10. Remove the barriers to relationships. Lead the transformation or be transformed by it.
Much of our day to day life, personal and professional, is interaction with other people and the patterns of interaction influence so much of the events around us and before us. The social web is creating new patterns of interaction which in turn is creating a new world of social exchanges about everything, anything and between everyone everywhere.
For businesses to survive and thrive in this new world they will need to go back to the future and adopt the Socialutions 10 Points for Business Transformation required to thrive in the new world. By the way the new world is a new game and th rules of the past don’t work. Live in the past or embrace the future.
What say you?