In the physical world infections are usually a reference to our bodies. In the virtual world the term infections usually carries a connotation of viruses infecting our machines. However there is another dimension of infection and that is in reference to our minds.
An infection of our minds is the colonization of our thoughts by the thoughts and words of others. In an infection, the infecting thoughts and words from others seek to utilize our resources to multiply. The infecting words interacts with the normal thinking of our minds and can lead to a “viral infection” when we pass on the thoughts and words onto others.
A “secondary viral infection” is an infection that occurs during or following reaction to our thoughts, ideas and words originated by our primary infection. The infection of ideas, perspectives, news and commentary spreads to “swarms and hives” of communities who mass the infection on following metcalfs law.
Which Viral Infections Have the Greatest Impact on Our Minds?
Based on some rudimentary analysis we find the following categories of viral infection:
- Breaking News: Grabbing the readers attention about technological developments, movers and shakers etc. A Short Term Infection
- Perspectives: Peoples ideas, opinions and perspective on the emerging virtual world and its meaning. The spread of this infection depends on the rationale and sound thinking behind the perspectives
- Personality: An individual, groups of individuals or communities that infect others by creating attraction through personality. Much like celebrities.
- Thought Leaders: Those individuals or firms who publish research or share insights into the future of the virtual world.
- Market Makers: Those individuals or organizations that create new and useful functionality and features to the virtual world experience.
Now think about what and whom you follow on the web. Which category of “infection” is it that affects your mind the most? The game is to decide whether you can create an infection or are you being infected. Now imagine if we could organize our virtual world by uniting relations around the categories of infection. In essence our collective ability to infect entire markets could be profound but not until and unless we organize our efforts. That is why we’re suggesting we unite our relations so rather than being infected we, the users, can infect the markets with more influence.
If you can infect a mind you can control the body.
What say you?
Want a PDF copy of this? Go Here