{ 9 comments }

David Locke March 18, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I own books. There was a time when I could buy them, so hardly a day passed without a new book.

They pile up. Then, you have to move. Your friends help you move once, but never again. And, no, they won’t let you help them move either.

Then you drive to a new job across the country and leave them in a storage unit. They become a tax on your daily existence. They own you.

These days I don’t buy books. They bark at me from the shelves, but their offers fall on deaf ears. Discount stickers scream.

There being more offers out there in the world doesn’t mean that I’ve got to attend to them. I can shut them out, out of my head, out of my wallet, out of my life.

Maybe it was all those books. Every time you life the things that own you, remind yourself of the costs of being owned. Maybe someone will come up with somthing that would releve me of the costs of ownership, the costs of being owned. Until then, I’m not buying.

Jim Holland March 18, 2009 at 9:57 am

Do we know what we don’t know? http://bit.ly/3O99tp Starting to socialize why we do what we do, when we know what we know.

George Bigger March 18, 2009 at 12:52 am

Our individual and collective success now depends on how well we dynamically adapt – to each other and our changing circumstances – globally.

* Alfred Whitehead, the English philosopher and mathematician, once remarked that the greatest invention of the 19th century was the “invention of invention.” Our invention pace is now 24/7/365.

We have the CONNECTIVITY of a Relationship Economy. We have the means to replace our faltering currency model by assigning Innovation Economy value to our intellectual exchange and proposed solution COMMODITIES. Now comes Commerce?

Remembering the interstate highway build-out of our recent past, one of the challenges is to re-invent the online (and offline) “interoperability” rules of the road, channel these ‘unraveled’ casual conversations (threaded chat that meanders off in all directions), and converge them all into predefined interchanges of focused ‘Collaboration on Purpose’.

Perhaps we can mutually agree to co-manage a few inalienable rights – like “equitable representation – and equitable remuneration” for starters.

Then perhaps we can convert common problems into shared economic opportunity.
Does that seem like a useful and viable tipping point?

Mark Harai March 17, 2009 at 12:31 pm

RT @JDeragon – Our journey through the social media maze is a wondrous landscape of discovery that never ends: http://bit.ly/xw4g

dan March 17, 2009 at 11:52 am

True – the plan. What is the plan. It seems to me that the “Media” most important to the individual is the media between their ears. The conversation that is their persona is a collection of knowledge, experience, passions, interests, creativity, need for social interaction and intellect – etc. Nothing can happen until this embodiment medium is organized and ultimately shared. Jay is right – the bottom line is commerce, money, cash, food, rewards, incentives, etc. Putting these things together is the emerging subject of innovation economic. Innovation is the science of change and economics is the science of incentives.

We organize libraries, book stores, food stores, freeways, stock markets, corporations, governments, why can’t we organize the knowledge inventory in our community? What is the incentive?

JDeragon March 17, 2009 at 7:13 am

Do We Know What We Don’t Know?: We are indeed heading to yet another tipping point. The tipping point may .. http://tinyurl.com/dkle5y

prblogs March 17, 2009 at 6:49 am

RelationshipEcon: Do We Know What We Don’t Know?: We are indeed heading to yet another ti.. http://tinyurl.com/dkle5y

JDeragon March 17, 2009 at 6:30 am

New blog post: Do We Know What We Don’t Know? http://tinyurl.com/dkle5y

John McTigue March 17, 2009 at 7:14 am

Jay, intriguing subject. It’s so easy to become fragmented and lose focus. This inevitably leads to frustration and self-doubt. Why am I doing this? Why do I spend hours a day watching Tweetdeck like a slot machine? I think the key is having a specific plan with real goals and milestones. Then a daily plan by which you can accomplish those goals. By getting organized and matching progress against real objectives, we gain satisfaction and become even more focussed. Certainly one of those goals should be learning, but having something more specific in mind, like a marketing campaign or a community outreach program, we can feel satisfied and centered.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }