The opposite of truth is a lie. A lie (also called prevarication), is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement, especially with the intention to deceive others, often with the further intention to maintain a secret or reputation, protect someone’s feelings or to avoid a punishment. A liar is a person or institution that is lying, who has previously lied, or who tends by nature to lie repeatedly.
However one could be lying to themselves and or an entire market because they lack the knowledge to understand developing truths. Unless engaged in learning new knowledge many of us can end up lying to ourselves because we lack knowledge of new truths.
The Truth About Markets
The premise of The Cluetrain Manifesto is that “markets are conversations“. Conversations reveal truths and lies. No one likes to be lied to because lying tends to create seeds of destruction in relationships. Lying brings consequences because relationships are founded on trust. Trust cannot be built on lies rather lies destroy trust.
For a market to work efficiently is must rely on truths. Relying on lies misleads a market and a market misled sooner than later fails. Today the “market of conversations” fueled by social media is creating a transparency that reveals truths and rejects lies.
When we engage with people, partners, suppliers and customers we’re engaging in a relationship. The foundation of any relationship is founded on principals that when not incorporated into the process of building relationships end up “sowing seeds of destruction” which hurts the relationship building process.
- We don’t need to engage in social media
- We can rely on old advertising and marketing methods to reach out market
- We can use social media as another channel to “push” our message
- We can continue to do what we’ve always done and get better results
- The consumer does not know as much as we do, we know better
- That social media stuff is just a fad and it won’t last so lets not waste our time or resources
- Our market is sophisticated and doesn’t participate in social media
- The use of social networks is for kids
- The internet presents too much risk so lets not use it
- I don’t believe any of these reports about social media or your not even aware of all this social stuff because your not listening