In the old days being called a “Hippie” brought certain negative connotations which related to sex, drugs and rock & roll. Times have changed and the word “hippie” is no longer a common term used in our nomenclature. Hippie as been replaced by Gen Y and Gen X or Republican, Democrat or Tea Party.
The terms Gen Y & X along with Republican, Democrat or Tea party do not necessary reflect “how” the demographic of these labels think rather the labels reflect “what” they think. The difference between “how” and “what” people think is the difference between philosophy and strategy.
The word “philosophy” means “love of wisdom“. It is the critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs. The word “strategy” means a plan, method, or series of maneuvers or stratagems for obtaining a specific goal or result. “How” we think is reflected by our philosophy. “What” we think is reflected by our individual and organization strategy. Our philosophy does influence our strategic thinking. Our strategy is the reflection of our philosophy, how we think.
While many, if not most, organizations and people attempt to deploy social media strategies that fail because their strategy is not in-line with the social philosophy. The social philosophy is a reflection of “how” people, the crowds, think about life, business and the intersection of technology with the human network. Social technology is accelerating communications and the subsequent dynamics reveal “how” and “what” people, the “human network” thinks. At the same time social technology is also revealing “what” and “how” institutions, the “business network“, thinks. The difference between the two “networks” reveals a “clash” in philosophical differences, how and what is important, useful and valuable.
Hippie 1.0 vs. 2.0 Philosophy
Hippie 1.0 was an a time of social change where “cultures clashed” over ideology, freedom and policy. The younger generation was against the Vietnam War, Corporations, Politics, “The Man” and everything “The Man” stood for.
It was an era where drugs, sex and rock & roll reflected the “Hippie” philosophy. The word “hippie” was initially used to describe early adopter ideologies included the counter cultural values of the Beat Generation.
Some created their own social groups and communities, listened to psychedelic rock, embraced the sexual revolution, and used drugs to explore alternative states of consciousness. Since the widespread movement in the 1960s, many aspects of hippie culture and philosophy have been assimilated by mainstream society.
Today Hippies 2.0 are using a different kind of psychedelic drug called social technology. Instead of THC and LSD the drug of choice is PHP, Linux, SQL and others which enables the freedom of expression in the “clouds“. The new drugs are as addictive as the old drugs and those that become enlightened from using it understand that it does change one’s state of consciousness. The new state of consciousness is the enlightenment of power created by “social groups and communities” igniting changes in philosophy about business as usual and demanding business as unusual.
The Hippie 2.0 Social Philosophy
Remember the word “philosophy” means “love of wisdom“. It is the critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs. Here is the top ten fundamental assumptions or beliefs of 2.0 Hippies:
- Copying old thinking doesn’t produce new knowledge rather learning to think does.
- Marketing, Advertising & PR are no longer driven by suppliers rather buyers.
- People aren’t targets of media rather media is now the force of the people.
- Cooperation is much more productive than Coercion
- We are no longer the audience to engage rather we’ll decide when and if to engage you.
- Social media are not media stuck in silos owned by “the man” rather it is our media free to roam, engage and connect with whomever, where ever and whenever.
- Our reach exceeds your grasp.
- Your network is a trap and you want our friends for bait. Trapping us and using our friends as bait is not part of our philosophy.
- We will no longer be contained in your silo rather we will decide if we will contain you in ours.
- If you cannot understand what we see and believe and act accordingly then we are not interested in a relationship.
So now it is time for you to decide. Are you a 2.0 Hippie or not? If not then don’t bother to join the conversation.