2.0 Hippies don’t think like the “crowd” rather they think about the “crowd”. The “crowd” represents the masses being lead down the wrong path only to be captured and used for “the media’s and the man’s” benefit. The media represents “the man” which reflects the philosophy of the past.
Many who stay stuck in the old business philosophy think they understand the power of social technology and try to apply it to old corporate practices in marketing, PR, advertising, customer and employee relations etc. only to learn that their strategies fail because they are driven by the wrong philosophy.
Hippies 2.0 challenge the assumptions and beliefs of organizational and personal thinking stuck in 1.0 philosophies. You can spot thinkers of Hippie 2.0 by their media which reflects profound changes in knowledge, values and reason about the human interaction with markets of conversations. Hippies 2.0 are early adopter ideologies which show the counter cultural values created by the intersection of technology with the human network.
What Do 2.0 Hippies Think About?
Thinking about things is a philosophical practice for examining what could and should be done vs. what is and has been done. 2.0 Hippies look at the emerging landscape of technological advances and not only think and talk about what will change but lead their followers to rally for and create the change. So what do they think about? Try these top ten then decide if you are a 2.0 Hippie:
- They are more interested in “thinkers” than followers.
- They appreciate “followers” who can add to the thinking with related dialog.
- They see obvious change that would benefit “people” and not “the man”.
- They don’t chase economic rewards rather they attempt to create rewards for everyone by influencing how people and institutions think.
- They think about “holistic benefits of change” and not “selfish gains” from creating change.
- They think with abundance and not scarcity.
- They are not concerned with what is popular rather what is good for the populous.
- They think about common sense change that is uncommon to the “establishment”.
- They think about creating new knowledge and not applying old knowledge.
- Last but not least they think about people’s relationship with markets and not the markets relationship with people.
What 2.0 Hippies say and do reflects a counter-culture shift from the way things are to the way things ought to be. The 2.o Hippie thinking isn’t stimulated by drugs like it was during Hippies 1.0 rather “the thoughts”are stimulated by a philosophy that challenges old assumptions and beliefs that are common and then creates uncommon thinking that takes root and becomes the new common.
Using the web to change how and what we think is much more valuable than using the web to propagate old messages and “established” practices. If you assume the web can best be used to propagate the wrong message using the wrong practice then don’t be surprised when 2.0 Hippies create changes that not only challenge your thinking but totally disrupt your “established” way of doing what you’ve always done. Continue to do so at your own demise!
2.0 Hippies need to gather together and leverage the power of a “social community” that propagates the philosophy which will truly create change we can believe in.
It can’t be done individually but it can be done when we speak in a collective voice. It can’t be done with politics as usual but it can be done by leveraging unusual politics. If you “think” about the same things as described by the thoughts of 2.0 Hippies then join the conversations and bring a bunch of other hippies with you. Together we can begin to change the “thinking” which in the end will change the markets, the man and the world.
Don’t think so? Then take the same “hits” you’ve been taking and get “high” on frustration. Continue to watch your eyes, and everyone else, glaze over in disbelief of what is happening to our world. Join the revolution and believe in something!