I am not the smartest person on the block yet I am surrounded by smart people. These people give me insight, inspiration and they help me expand my own knowledge inventory. But sometime smart people get all caught up in being smart and they miss “smart things” that would enhance their engagement with the human network by calling those things and others “stupid”.
Smart people have a lot of knowledge but knowledge is becoming a commodity. As such some smart people feel threatened and act out when they feel threatened. While having knowledge is a valuable asset not having social attributes many times leads smart people to do stupid things.
Recently I observed fellow colleagues engaged in arguments on-line. Both are very intelligent people whom I admire but their recent behavior clearly showed a lack of emotional intelligence and public discernment. From a series of observed exchanges I’ve come up a list of “10 stupid things smart people do” and wanted to share it and see if you also have experienced and/or observed the same.
10 Stupid Things Smart People Do
- Defending their knowledge position by trashing or insulting others with a different position, on-line and off.
- Doing number 1 with comments on others blog post on subject matters they believe in. Subsequently creating transparent conflict that reflects back on them.
- When challenged about their behavior they attack using words from their position rather than listening to the others position and finding grounds to agree in a civil manner.
- Reacting to other people’s position as if said positions were specifically targeted at them and subsequently they take offense when none was intended.
- Searching the web for content they can critique critically with the aim of exercising one’s ego, intellect and for the sake of argument.
- While proclaiming a search for value they lack any understanding of how to create relational value.
- They are smart enough to be right but do not know what is wrong with being right or thinking they are right all the time.
- When conflict from their positions arise they attempt to draw others into the conflict seeking others to be on their side and agree with their positions.
- Rarely do these smart people demonstrate adult rationale conflict resolution. Instead they state things like ” so and so is useless and I won’t waste my time trying to resolve offenses.” Then they go on trashing the one who caused the supposed offense.
- Last but not least the most stupid thing smart people do is read post like this and blame the writer for their ignorance, attitude then trash their post publically.