Today the dominant view and use of all things social is related to marketing concepts and tools to sell more. While relevant to commercial concerns the relevancy of social media to human concerns needs to be reframed. To do so means we need to rethink all things social.
Cognitive reframing of social media consists of changing the way people see value in social media and trying to find alternative ways of viewing ideas, events, situations, or a variety of other concepts beyond social marketing. Cognitive reframing of social media refers to the process as it occurs either voluntarily or automatically in all settings.
I beleive we will see significant changes in the practices of social media over the next two years.
Here are 10 Reasons Why I Believe This:
- Our attention spans are running thin and our primary attention is looking for meaning and purpose
- Businesses are learning that they have to create meaning from social media not just marketing messages
- More and more leaders are getting engaged and subsequently seeing that all things social is more than marketing
- More and more brands are leading how to add value and not just take value from social crowds
- The intangible value of enabling people to create their own value using intangibble capital has become self evident
- Instead of counting “Friends & Likes” organizations recognize the need to count value created
- Collaborative advantage is replacing competitive advantage. Expand vs. beating creates more value
- Organizations are learning that the focus should be on maximizing people’s value vs. their value
- People and organizations are learning that the most precious value created is invisible and intangible
- As the pace of individual learning accelerates then the pace of organizational change will accelerate for smarter companies
The cognitive reframing of social media will happen at the pace determined by the learning curve of the human network. There will be those that lead and those that follow but it is and will continue to happen. This is becoming self evident as self actualization is expressed from people learning from each other, from the information propagated from one to one to millions and because learning is at the core of human creativity.
I know this to be true because of what my children and the children of others have taught me. Optimium value creation comes from learning.