The web has changed cause and effect. What used to be the cause of something is now because of something. Cause indicates a direct correlation and because is an indirect correlation. Cause indicates an immediate effect and because indicates a later effect.
Lets look at a few examples:
- Schools were designed to educate people. Now people learn more because of the internet
- Information used to be controlled by the media. Now information flows freely because of the internet
- Collaboration used to be restricted to time and place. Now collaboration is in real-time with anyone, anywhere and anytime because of the internet
- People worked for corporation to earn a living. Now people are connecting and finding new ways to earn a living because of the internet
- The few used to get all the attention from the media. Now because of the internet the media has become everyone and anyone can get attention.
Instead of Cause & Effect It Is Now Because…
Doc Searls describes the “because effect”:Instead of making money “from” writing, I’m now earning it “because of” writing. This is a perfect example of a because effect, which is what happens when you make more money because of something than with something.
But gradually it’s going to dawn on people that not everything needs a “business model”. And that far more money is made because of something.
There are more things being disrupted because of innovation created from outside the box. Those still stuck inside the box are still looking for the cause and effect of change. They are missing the because effect which is outside the box and it is the result of more than just the internet.